Photography is a competitive business, one where small details matters. The good news is, if you play the details right, they can become the tipping point, that small push convincing potential clients to hire you, without any words at all.
Having a website on which to display my work has proven crucial to me since starting my career in photography. There’s some sort of psychological click that goes off in potential clients where if you have a website – it means you are serious about your craft. And if you do not have a website, it means you’re wasting your time. It doesn’t matter how good you are at what you do, in order to have clients aside from your close friends and/or acquaintances, you need to be able to display your work on a public platform. — ViiviN of Viivi N. Media
Creating a website also increases your chances of being “stumbled upon” through google searches. You are “on-the-radar” rather than living in the shadows hoping for a miracle. Constantly pushing new content onto your website and keeping people coming back to check for more is important in developing new relationships and adding to your client list.
Having a website, portfolio and social media quickly moves you from amateur to professional in your prospect client’s eyes.
If you start now you can have it set up in 15 minutes!
Disclosure: This posts contains some affiliate links but only to products we use and/or absolutely love!
How To Start a Photography Website
Bluehost is incredibly easy to set up, affordable and has fantastic customer service.
1. Go to Bluehost.com.
2. Select “Get Started Now.”
3. Choose your plan — the basic plan should be fine for now, you can always upgrade later if you need.
4. Enter the website address you’d like.
5. Fill in your personal information.
6. When prompted, I recommend Domain Privacy Protection (keeps your personal information private) and skipping the other features and add ons.
7. Generate a password, write it down and save it in a safe place.
8. Verify Your Account — you’ll be getting an email from Bluehost with “Action Required”. All you have to do is click the link in the email to verify your account, it takes 1 second and you’re done.
Note: If you have an existing website you can still migrate it to Bluehost by clicking below, hit get started, select your hosting plan, and fill in your domain under “i have a domain name.”
2. In One Click Install WordPress
1. When the pop-up appears, hit “Setup Your Website”.
2. Install WordPress.
3. Choose your domain from the drop down, then select “check domain”.
4. View credentials, that’s your back end login information. Go ahead and login and then you’re ready to choose a theme. See below.
3. Choose a Theme
- Genesis — If you’re stuck on a theme, Genesis framework and themes are not only gorgeous, they are the best for SEO (search engine optimization), which helps bring you more customers. Here are 9 Best-Selling Genesis Themes:
4. Optional: Newsletter
ConvertKit is a great option if you plan on collecting and sending out emails to your list of customers. E-mails are a great way to touch base and make sure you stay on top of your customer’s minds so when they are ready for their next shoot you bet they’ll call you!